There are various reasons why Snapchat accounts may be locked, either temporarily or permanently. We do this to keep the app fun and safe for everyone.
For more information about what kind of lock you’re experiencing and why your account may have been locked, please keep reading.
⚠️ Important: There are internet scammers who promote fake unlocking services. Only you or Team Snapchat can unlock your account, depending on the situation. Please read about scams concerning unlocking Snapchat accounts below.
Click to jump to a section:
- My account has been permanently locked
- My account has been temporarily locked
- My account has been locked because it was compromised
- Why is my account locked?
- Who can unlock my account?
- I want to download my data
- (EU Users) Out-of-Court Disputes
My account has been permanently locked
If you attempt to log in to Snapchat and see a message that the account has been permanently locked, it means we've detected some activity that violates our Community Guidelines or Terms of Service, so we’ve locked your account and may have removed your content. You may have the ability to appeal this decision, as described here for account appeals.
My account has been temporarily locked
You can try logging back in via the app or on the web by going here, and selecting 'Unlock.' Be sure to take a look at some of the common reasons your account may have been locked before logging back in again, otherwise it may become permanently locked.
Please Note: We won’t be able to unlock your account for you.
My account has been locked because it was compromised
If you attempt to log in to your account and see a message stating that it looks like your account may have been compromised, contact our support team here and fill out the form. We will get in touch with you via email.
Please Note: We are only able to provide support for accounts that have been compromised through this form. Be sure to include an email address that you have access to so that you can receive a response from support. We may also need to request additional information to verify your identity, such as your username, when you lost access to your account, etc.
Why is my account locked?
Your account may be locked if:
- We detected content or other behavior that goes against our Community Guidelines.
- How to help prevent being locked: Avoid sending spam or other behavior that goes against our Community Guidelines. We prohibit spam and other deceptive practices, including manipulating content for misleading purposes or to imitate Snapchat content formats.
- We detected your account might be compromised and locked it just to be safe.
- How to help prevent being locked: Practice some of the ways you can keep your Snapchat account safe.
- We detected suspicious activity on your account (for example, you’ve sent a lot of friend requests to multiple Snapchatters in a short time).
- We've detected logins from a banned device.
- We detected the use of a third-party app, plugin, or tweak to access Snapchat or Snapchat services.
- How to help prevent being locked: Don’t install any third-party apps, plugins, or tweaks. If your account was temporarily locked, uninstall them before trying to unlock it or it may be permanently locked. Continual use of third-party applications or tweaks, sending spam, or other abusive behaviors can lead to your account being permanently locked. Please see our Terms of Service for more information.
Who can unlock my account?
There are scammers on the Internet who promote fake unlocking services for Snapchat accounts, often claiming that they are hackers or Snapchat employees who can unlock your account in exchange for money, or even for free. They may approach you on different social media platforms or online forums. These types of scammers will eventually ask you to pay with gift cards or even with PayPal. You may also be asked to pay money for the service itself, buy software on the dark web, or buy an access code to access the account. We will never request money from you for Snapchat Support.
Do not share your username or password with anyone, including anyone claiming to provide these services — they are not legitimate. These scammers may collect your username and password and use it to compromise your other online accounts, or engage in other cyber attacks or fraud.
The only legitimate ways to unlock your account are described in this article. You also may be able to appeal your account lock.
I want to download my data
If you would like to download your data such as your Memories, Saved Chats, and Friends list, you can follow the steps listed here.
Please Note: Not all locked accounts are eligible for 'Download My Data.'
(EU Users) Out-of-Court Disputes
If you have appealed unsuccessfully and would like to further appeal a decision, you can select any out-of-court dispute settlement body that has been certified in accordance with Article 21.3 of the Digital Services Act in order to resolve disputes relating to our decision. You may also raise any disputes in accordance with our Terms of Service.